Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Powerpop Hit List

1. Kool Thing-Sonic Youth
2. New York City-They Might Be Giants
3. Oliver's Army-EC & the A.s
4. The World at Large-Modest Mouse
5. Teenage Kicks-Undertones
6. Need You Around-Smoking Popes
7. Kids in America-Kim Wilde
8. Holiday-Weezer
9. Calling All-The La's
10. Santeria-Sublime
11. Sou. Central Rain-REM
12. Your Love-The Outfield
13. Candy Floss-Wilco
14. Seven Nation Army-White Stripes
15. I Don't Like Mondays-Boomtown Rats

Wow, that was exhausting.

4 comments:

Dave said...

Your list KICKS ASS. I would like to commend you for your good taste and courage in including the Outfield and Kim Wilde. Excellent, excellent, excellent. I have some downloading to do.

Joe said...

Great list. I have to admit I've never heard 'Santeria.' I might need to add 'Fell In Love With a Girl' by the White Stripes to my list, and if 'Candy Floss' was the last song I ever got to hear, I would be okay with it. Sorry to put you through that, but we all had to do it.

Mike said...

Hey, thanks, I appreciate the kind words! (Glad you warned me off the ABBA, Joe) Some bands just seem to totally get it together for 1 song, like Your Love, Kids in America and Teenage Kicks. Odd to put these next to like Weezer and EC, who each have so many songs I could've included. Your lists inspired me to think the question through carefully.

Jay must be scowling at my list right now, going "Boomtown Rats? WTF???"

Jay said...

Actually, I was wondering why your list didn't have more Smoking Popes on it.

And no pophead? WTF???