Tuesday, March 20, 2007

And Now Back to the Music

While I'm not one of those fans who won't allow my favorite artists to grow and experiment, I also like it when said growth and experimentation is still as good as what attracted me to them in the first place. Case in point, Wilco. I have loved Jeff Tweedy since his Uncle Tupelo days and jumped up and down over the first two Wilco albums. The next three...not so much. I really liked them, and they each had some great moments, but (everybody has one) they got kind of boring after a few listens. Still, I have liked each enough to run out and buy the next one and really enjoyed the "Ghost Is Born" tracks the three times I saw Wilco live (including a taping of 'Austin City Limits').

With a new album out in May, they are streaming a track, "What Light" on their website, or you can download a zip file of it here. It sounds more like the rootsy stuff of early days, if not quite so rocking. If nothing else, it's made me enough of a potential sucker to buy yet another one of their records.

2 comments:

Mike said...

Even if it sells records, aerosmithing out nearly identical music album after album is boring. But for every Pet Sounds, there are 10 Adores (Smashing Pumpkins snooze-fest). At least experimentation keeps us coming back. Thanks for the link, I loved Summerteeth!

Jay said...

Being There for me.