Monday, January 14, 2008

Thanks A Lot, Dave


I've had Cheap Trick's "Hot Love" stuck in my head for the last four days. What's not to like, though? Propelled by one of the most unappreciated drummers in rock history, the song comes blasting out of the gate with a sweet-ass riff, followed closely by a catchy-as-hell melody. And that bridge! Absolutely brilliant breakdown, complete with what Kram and I used to call "guitar noodlies."

I think the clincher for me though is the low E that Tom Peterssen drops to in the pre-chorus. (They tease you with it the first go-round, heading back into the verse instead ...) All delivered in a brisk two minutes and 30 seconds, which as we all know, is how long a powerpop tune should be. (That's in the Bible, I think.)

Man.

Okay, name your favorite Cheap Trick song or songs. I know you got 'em. I'm leaning towards "Hot Love" today.

10 comments:

Laura said...

I'll vote for "Ballad of TV Violence" from the same first album as Hot Love, and "This Time You Got It," off their latest release, Rockford. Rockford was a true return to form, and though not as hard as that first album (which I LOVE), it's still a terrific compilation of songs.

Jay said...

I haven't heard Rockford, but Dave says it's solid, too. May have to pick that one up ...

Thanks for stopping by and good luck with the book.

Any bastards have an opinion on the matter? Bueller? Bueller?

Dave said...

Speak Now or Forever Hold Your Peace
Ballad of TV Violence
Voices
Every single song on One on One
Surrender and the usual suspects

Jay said...

"I Want You To Want Me," Budokan, not In Color.

Mike said...

As unoriginal as it is to say so, Surrender just can't be beat.

Mike said...

OK, Hot Love is an incredible track!

Mike said...

Who's Laura?

Joe said...

I can't choose.

Jay said...

Laura appears to be a visiting Cheap Trick fanatic and fellow blogger.

Joe said...

Okay, 'Southern Girls.' No, wait...I'm with Mike, 'Surrender.' Okay, 'Oh Caroline.' or maybe 'She's Tight'. It's just not possible.