Thursday, January 17, 2008

Not That You Bastards Deserve It.....

...but Francine Talks Pretty! Join me, won't you, for the following:

Dirty Dozen Brass Band: The New Orleans Album
Before they tried to shorten their name to 'The Dozen' and embrace hip hop and all manner of other stuff, the DDBB were pure New Orleans. This album features songs by Kidd Jordan, Fats Domino, Dave Bartholemew, and many others. Just the thing for Mardi Gras.

Cheap Trick: Rockford
The latest album from our boys from Illinois. I find it particularly strong. Give it a listen or two; they haven't lost a step.

Rufus Wainwright: Rufus Wainwright
The debut album from the Candian wunderkind. I go back and forth on this one, but there's no denying his talent.

Steve Turner: New Wave Punk Asshole
Highly, highly recommended. This album, from Mudhoney's lead guitar player, is just a fantastic exercise in post-grunge punk pop. Highlights include: I Know You Scorpio, Sex Date Saturday Night, and Oh, Paula. Anxious to know what you bastards think of this one.

7 comments:

Jay said...

Holy shit, Dave. Thank you.

Mike said...

Oh, the wire is going to be jumping tonight! Thanks, Dave!

Mike said...

It's a stretch to call much of Steve Turner "punk," but it certainly kicks serious ass!

Dave said...

I agree, the Turner stuff is probably not 'punk', but it couldn't have been written by anyone who didn't have a punk rock history. Glad you like it- it really grows on you too.

Joe said...

That Steve Turner is really good. You might even say it's gooooooooood.

Dave said...

I'll throw a couple more of his albums up this weekend. Some of his other stuff is good old alt-country weepy songwriting. New Wave Punk Asshole is by far the most aggressive of his solo stuff. That farfisa in 'I Know You Scorpio' just kills me.

Mike said...

Tonight I'm really digging the Dirty Dozen. Just what I was hoping for when I went fishing for some jazzy New Orleans music!