Thursday, January 31, 2008

I Know Some of You Bastards Hate Morrissey, but Andrew and I like him, So Suck It



I heard this song on my iPod today, and was reminded by Andy's last post heading.
Here's the awesome lyrics to 'The World is Full of Crashing Bores':

You must be wondering how
The boy next door turned out
Have a care, But don't stare
Because he's still there
Lamenting policewomen, policemen silly women, taxmen
Uniformed whores,
They who wish to hurt you work within the law
This world is full, So full of crashing bores
And I must be one, 'Cos no one ever turns to me to say
Take me in your arms, Take me in your arms, And love me

You must be wondering how
The boy next door turned out
Have a care, And say a prayer
Because he's still there

Lamenting policewomen policemen silly women taxmen
Uniformed whores,
Educated criminals work within the law
This world is full, Oh oh, So full of crashing bores
And I must be one, cos no one ever turns to me to say
Take me in your arms, Take me in your arms
And love me, And love me

What really lies, Beyond the constraints of my mind
Could it be the sea, With fate mooning back at me?
No it's just more lock jawed pop stars
Thicker than pig shit, Nothing to convey
They're so scared to show intelligence
It might smear their lovely career

This world, I am afraid, Is designed for crashing bores
I am not one, I am not one
You don't understand, You don't understand, And yet you can
Take me in your arms and love me, Love me, And love me

Take me in your arms and love me, Love me, love me
Take me in your arms and love me, Take me in your arms and love me

9 comments:

Mike said...

I like Morrissey!

Dave said...

Excellent. (Taps fingertips together).

Jay said...

You're all just ... fags.

I'm renaming the blog Los Fagtardos Unidos, effective immediately.

And please don't mention that I like Belle & Sebastian, because that only strengthens my argument.

Andrew said...

All I can say, Jay, is that you have never been in love until you’ve seen the dawn rise behind the Home For The Blind.

Joe said...

Dave, if I had a dime for every time I heard Jay tell you to "Take me in your arms and love me, Take me in your arms and love me," I'd have a shitload of dimes.

I want to like the Smiths. I really do. I don't loathe Morrissey like I used to. Especially now that he's so much like Sinatra.

Jay said...

Okay, after careful re-evaluation:

1) Like the music, and could possibly grow to LOVE it, if not for point 2.

2) Still can't fucking stand Morrissey's affected ass.

In much the same way that a bad night of bourbon in college made it so that I could never drink the stuff again, I unexpectedly heard "We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful" when I was way, way, way, waaaaaay, way into punk.

I never recovered from that one either, and to this day, I can barely resist the urge to mentally bitch slap Morrissey every time I see him, eyes closed, microphone held just so, running his fingers through his gigantic hair.

By my calculation Joe, it's $248.20.

Mike said...

Excellent analogy, Jay, I know what you mean. I on the other hand, associate Mr. Affected Ass Big Hair with driving around in my old mustang convertable listening to the Smiths on mix tapes from Rob White. At the time, my ass was also quite affected and my hair much bigger.

Jay said...

Ha ha ha!

Dave said...

My initial exposure to the Smiths came kind of late. Their last album, Strangeways Here We Come, was my first. I liked metal too much when the earlier stuff came out. Morrissey's solo career has been a little hit or miss, but when You Are the Quarry came out it blew me away. The song Andy quoted (The First of the Gang to Die) is one of the best pop melodies of the last twenty years. Or beers. Or something like that.