Sunday, January 20, 2008

Meet the Supercarters


The Supercarters is my permanent side project. Supercarters are songwriter and vocalist Ed Mitchell, bassist Dave Baker, drummer Elzy Lindsey, and me. The other three played together in a number of classic New Orleans bands before forming the Supercarters several years ago. They had recorded a demo and decided the band needed a little more guitar muscle, so they recruited me to play solos and add color. We played lots of shows and had a generally good time before Ed's schedule and ambivilence ended the band.

Dave, Elzy, and I formed Coverboy with Mike Werts and Adam Campagna and mastered the new wave covers genre and Ed continued driving truck and hanging around.

Last fall, a newly rejuvinated Ed visited Dave and Elzy in Asheville and the three recorded several songs in Elzy's basement. Ed had rediscovered his youthful love of gospel music and it got the creative juices flowing again. Ed is a pretty spiritual guy, which you'll hear reflected on parts of this album. I came over two weeks later and laid down 20 or so guitar tracks in one day. A touch of violin here, a trumpet there, and some fantastic harmonies later, and we had our first album. This group has been really liberating for me as a guitarist. It has been fun to not think about singing or driving the song. I do a lot of chickin' pickin' stuff and more atmospherics than I'm capable of otherwise.

The other thing I love about this album is that other than our collective time and energy, a few cases of beer, and gas to and from Asheville, this entire project cost nothing to make. Baker worked like a dog on it, but for the rest of us, it was nice and easy and no 'red-light' pressure at all. My favorite songs are 'Layin' Low', 'Carolina', 'Here's to You' and 'Life Awaits the Dead'.

I hope you guys like it. Ed is a great songwriter from the 'less is more' school, and his unpretentious words and incredibly hummable melodies will stick with you. Fractionally Tempstuous Process.

3 comments:

Jay said...

Thanks, Dave. I was looking forward to hearing this before I read the post.

Mike said...

That's some freakin' fine guitar work on Layin' Low, my favorite track first time through. Thanks, Dave!

Joe said...

Dave, let us know if there's a Carolina live date sometime. I would certainly be up for a road trip, especially if it's in Asheville.