Saturday, December 29, 2007

See this now

Caught Charlie Wilson's War over the holiday and it is fantastic. Based on the true activities of Charlie Wilson, a congressman from Texas' 2nd district back in the 80s, the movie shows how Wilson went about arming the rebel Afghans who eventually beat back the Soviets. Sounds dull as hell, but the story is brisk, the acting excellent, and there is an undercurrent of humor that pulls it all together. Tom Hanks is Wilson, Julia Roberts plays a Houston socialite who hates communism, and Phillip Seymour Hoffman is just unbelievable as a CIA operative who puts the pieces together. Mike Nichols directed and it is definitely one of the best movies I've seen this year. Oh yeah, you get to see Tom Hanks naked in a hot tub full of nude strippers. At least Joe will see it now.

4 comments:

Dave said...

I also saw 'I Am Legend' (excellent) and 'National Treasure 2' (not so excellent). We might see 'Walk Hard' today.

Joe said...

Dave! Welcome back! One of the old guys I work with was saying this was a great movie. I, however, have seen my one movie for the year, so I'll prolly have to wait for the dvd.

Mike said...

I'm stoked about Charlie Wilson now, thanks. Was hoping that would live up to billing.

Jay said...

We caught it Monday. Damn fine.