Monday, December 17, 2007

This invasion is brought to you by Denny’s

I was quite intrigued by this series of photographs, in which the supporting poles etc. for various signs are photoshopped out, leaving only the sign itself floating in mid-air. Reading the inevitably-pretentious artist’s statement about the “disconnect between the corporate symbols and terra firma,” it struck me that in a future age of not just global, but truly universal sponsorship opportunities, these photos may be how alien spacecraft would eventually appear to take over the earth, covered in sponsor logos like malevolent, deathray-equipped Nascar vehicles.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bring on the anal probe!

Jay said...

Guess I had that one coming after my crack about Joe in the closet ...

Jay said...

The thing that strikes me is that gas was $1.79 a mere three years ago.

Cool photos, though.

Mike said...

I'm going to start looking for opportunities to use the phrase, "like malevolent, deathray-equipped Nascar vehicles." It always makes me feel so original to cleverly repeat well-worded phrases.

Joe said...

I like the Jesus one. Hey, maybe Jesus will come back as a malevolent, deathray-equipped Nascar vehicle!