Thursday, May 15, 2008

Speaking of Rock Hudson



Kind of a long story, but...

My father-in-law, let's call him Shank, was at a convention in Vegas. He's sitting at a table with his wife and a handful of other people he doesn't know. An announcer comes up and says 'Ladies and Gentlemen, Jim Nabors will be up here in a minute to speak to you.'

Shank, thinks this would be a great time to pull out the old Rock Hudson / Jim Nabors joke (Hudson died without any friends, but he had Nabors up the ass). Dead silence. Nobody laughs. So he shakes it off, thinking Ah, can't win 'em all.

A few minutes later, Nabors comes up on stage and before he gets started, he says, 'I'd just like to say hello to my mother and sister who are in the audience...' and the spotlight shines on the table where Shank's sitting, and Nabors' mother and sister are smiling and waving.
True story.

4 comments:

Dave said...

Thanks, you just made me snort and laugh out loud while I'm proctoring an exam!

Jay said...

Holy shit, did he stick around for the entire event or crawl away?

Joe said...

I think he stayed. Sheepishly.

Mike said...

Man, I've stuck my foot in my mouth before, but never that bad! Wow.