Monday, May 12, 2008

Home Before Dark


I know we have some Neil fans on the blargh, so I figured I'd post on his new one, Home Before Dark. Rick Rubin produces again and the band includes Mike Campbell, Benmont Tench, Smokey Hormel and other luminaries of Rubin's producing stable. I'm a big fan of 12 Songs, but this one isn't doing it for me so far for a couple of reasons.

First, for God's sake, who was editing? Most of the songs here are looooooooooong. I'm talking 5, 6, and even 8 minutes. Which is cool if you're Queen, but not so much for Neil. The lyrics are heartfelt, but sometimes rather trite. I know we're talking about the Diamond man here, but there's a line in the sand that shouldn't be crossed. Still, there are some good tunes and the accompaniment is again sparse and sympathetic. The weird melancholy that has run throughout the man's entire ouevre is present and accounted for, and I'd much rather hear Neil going in this direction than some of the shite he put out in the 80s and 90s. Sadly though, this is not going to put him in the Cash-classics latter day revival category that Rubin is probably hoping for. If you're a fan, check it out for yourself. Feels Typically Processed.

6 comments:

Joe said...

I've just never been a fan of the man. My mother was heavy in to his 'Jazz Singer' and '80s output ('Forever in Blue Jeans,' 'They Come into America'), and I could just never get past it.

Joe said...

Though 'You Don't Send Me Flowers' always kind of gets to me.

Mike said...

You Don't Send Me Flowers is one of the most incredible duets ever! But otherwise, I'm just not down with it. Damn, I'd like to hear that song right now.

Jay said...

I don't LOVE Neil Diamond, but I LIKE him for five very good reasons:

1) "Kentucky Woman"

2) "Cherry, Cherry"

3) "I'm A Believer"

4) "Solitary Man"

5) "Girl, You'll Be A Woman Soon"

Jay said...

Oh, and "Love On The Rocks." How could I forget that one?

Dave said...

Plus, Shilo, Brooklyn Roads, Done to Soon, Holly Holy and Brother Love's Traveling Salvation Show, and the best ever: Cracklin' Rose. Did you know many of his classic sides of the early seventies were recorded in Memphis??