Friday, May 09, 2008

Oh, The Things I Do For You Bastards


$17.98?!

Okay, that's the bad news. I'm happy to report that this is a rock-solid chunk of Memphibian power pop, dripping with that mid-70s, AM radio production. But I must say, you'll be much more satisfied if you go in expecting Todd Rundgren rather than Big Star. (Prior to my purchase, I was a tad nervous, as I couldn't find a sampling of this CD anywhere.)

To my relief, it's miles better than that over-hyped, godawful Rock City disc that finally saw the light of day in 2003. For comparison, you may choose to Forgo The Pinwheels.

4 comments:

Mike said...

Nice welcome home for me. Glad you stepped up to the plate for this one, I'm not a fan of the $18 blind purchases, though I've often done it on the strength of a single track.

Dave said...

Listening to this right now and enjoying very much- thank you! Definitely more in the Eric Carmen/Rasberries/Rundgren axis, but does remind me very agreeably of sunny summer days in the seventies.

Jay said...

Cool! A lot of these melodies are sticking with me, so that's a good sign.

Joe said...

I came home and put on a Bob Welch record after listening to this a couple of times. It had the similar 'of its time' feeling. A couple of the songs are really good, so you can see how if he had been remotely handsome he might have had a hit.