Friday, May 30, 2008

College World Series


The college baseball regionals start this weekend, with LSU riding a 20-game winning streak, and dark horse Tulane battling Free Shoes U at the Tallahassee regional. Notwithstanding the aurally-offensive and apparently dangerous metal bats, a few of the things I really like about college baseball are:

The complete lack of middle relief pitching, which means an 8-run inning is always on the cards, and no game is over until its over.

Pitchers who are the team's best hitter so play a regular position between starts.

Beer.

Arizona's State players all wearing knee-high socks.

Restaurants in Omaha that learned how to make passable red beans and rice and jambalaya because LSU is in the college world series so often.

And last but not least, the rebuilt post-Katrina ballpark at Tulane, complete with draft Abita and not a bad view in the house (pictured above, as seen on my flying visit last Friday to catch part of the CUSA championship and satisfy my crawdaddy cravings).

4 comments:

Dave said...

Looks like my beloved Privateers won't have a shot at the mighty Tigers. UNC and NCSU are both hosting regionals in my neck of the woods, so there's been a lot of coverage.

Mike said...

Glad to hear they've rebuilt Tulane's stadium. College baseball does have some refreshing unpredictability. Candlesticks reference made me laugh!

Joe said...

I went to Free Shoe's U! We beat the lowly Gators yesterday. Now we just have to win every other game (including Tulane today, I think) to be the champs. The Longhorns are also still in it, I believe. I

Jay said...

I like robots and monsters.