Friday, May 30, 2008

Really Important Books



Okay, Here's my top music-related books. There are a bunch more I need to read, so if my fellow bastards will add to it, I'll know what I need to add to my Amazon.com order. Sorry, but I don't see myself getting to Melmoth the Wanderer anytime soon.
  • Careless Love: the Unmaking of Elvis Presley by Peter Guralnick

  • Last Train To Memphis: The Rise of Elvis Presley by Peter Guralnick

  • Dream Boogie: The Triumph of Sam cooke by Peter Guralnick (hey!)

  • Chronicles by Bob Dylan

  • Shakey: Neil Young's Biography by Jimmy McDonough

  • Invisible Republic: Bob Dylan's Basement Tapes by Greil Marcus

  • Big Star: The Short Life, Painful Death, and Unexpect Resurrection of the Kings of Power Pop by Rob Jovanovic

  • The Frank Zappa Book by Frank Zappa

  • Please Kill Me: The Uncensored Oral History of Punk by Legs McNeil

Obviously, I'm a fan of non-fiction.

2 comments:

Dave said...

Add Our Band Could Be Your Life if you haven't read it. Check out the 33 1/3 series of books about classic albums. Warren Zevon bio called, I think, Dirty Life and Times.

Jay said...

Don't forget the Replacements book.