Wednesday, November 21, 2007

No Country for Old Men

Very cool film, see it, by all means. If a movie can be said to be feng shui, then this one is just that. All its parts seem in perfect harmony, the bleak landscape, very spare sets, almost no music in the whole film; there's a clinical coolness about it that creates an environment conducive to focusing on what the characters do. The film is never emotionally manipulative, never formulaic, and the only flaws I saw were when the film was in the service of the screenplay rather than the other way around. Several fervent monologues came off as stilted and literary, times when you're reminded that what the characters are saying is from a script, this is not real life. But a great film anyway. Saw several familiar cast members I couldn't place. Josh Brolin is one of the main characters, Mikey's big brother in Gooney's, and Renton's school girl from Trainspotting (and the girl in Tristram Shandy) was his wife. Tommy Lee was fine and probably in line for an Oscar nomination. The film gets nominated for many academy awards, but isn't the big winner, I think.

7 comments:

Dave said...

Thanks for the excellent review Lurker. I really want to see this. My problem is the fact that my girlfriend doesn't really like the same types of movies I do. She is a self-admitted fluff and romance fan and doesn't really like to think too much at the movies. I, on the other hand, am a seventies movie nut who loves movies that make me think, as well as anything talky and depressing. Whatever shall I do??

Mike said...

Dave, you're going to like this film. It was set in, I'm guessing, the very early '80s, but it reminded me of a good '70s movie. But very few chicks would dig it.

Dave said...

I'll definitely be catching this one. I really like the Coen brothers. Even their least successful efforts succeed on some level. And their best is just amazing (Big Lebowski, Blood Simple, Fargo, Oh Brother, Barton Fink).

Joe said...

Thanks for the reccy, Lurker. I'm dying to see that one. We have the free babysitting service this weekend, so hopefully we'll get to either this or the Dylan pic.

And I'm with you, Dave. The Coen bros are always good. I never saw Ladykillers or The Man Who Wasn't There, but most of the others I've been willing to sit through three or four times (or six or seven in the case of 'Raising Arizona'). Looks like they're in top form for this one.

Mike said...

I thought Miller's Crossing was one of their best, and I'm glad to see Big Lebowski mentioned in that group. I can't sit through that thing without a handful of white russians.

Jay said...

This movie is OUTSTANDING!

Susan and I caught it yesterday. It's like a beautiful song, and there ain't a clunker in the whole movie. I've noticed that many critics are calling it one of the Coen brothers' best.

I see Oscar nods for best actor and best adapted screenplay.

Mike said...

Best adapted screenplay is in the bag, you're right. Best actor, definite nomination and, I guess maybe, as a sort of lifetime achievement kind of thing, I could see him winning.