Tuesday, November 27, 2007

A 70s Vinyl Guiltfest!








My wife's uncle Tom was going to throw out his vinyl collection but fortunately offered it to me instead. It's quite the stash. About 50 records dating from the mid-70s to the early 80s and ranging from Eagles, Jackson Browne, Buffet singer-songwriter stuff to "jazz" like Mangione and Benson with some gems like the Police (Zenyatta, Ghosts and Synchronicity). And curiously two Mariah Carey albums, which I'm sure Dave could have FTP'd us if we'd just asked.

A couple of gems are the Buckingham Nicks album that pre-dated their Meetwood Flac days ('Rumors' is also in the collection'), 'Tubular Bells' (the zenith / nadir of pretentious prog), and 'Champagne Jam' by ARS. There's also an interesting assortment of one-hit wonder albums like Bob Welch's French Kiss, which has 'Sentimental Lady,' Nicolette Larson's album with 'Whole Lotta Love' (Neil wrote it, ya' know) and Little River Band's 'Sleeper Catcher' (whatever the fuck that means) which actually has two pretty big hits.

I've been in in a groovy paradise, fellas. Most of this shit I wouldn't pull from the bargain bin, but I've been listening to it for around 3 weeks now and it's the tits.

4 comments:

Dave said...

Great stuff! I'd like to hear that Buckingham stuff. I've really been getting into his guitar playing lately. My next guitar goal is to figure out the finger picking to 'Never Going Back Again'.

Jay said...

Joe has already pointed me in that direction. Wander on over here.

Mike said...

What a find! I just love those goofy old '70s album covers. I'd like to hear the Buckingham stuff, too.

Mike said...

Thanks for the link!