Monday, November 26, 2007

Kevin Dubrow dead at 52

Back in my metal days, I was a real snob about 'American' vs. 'British' metal. I loved the British, detested the hair bands. Quiet Riot's first album was a bit of a mix between the two, and while I can't say I was ever a big fan, my young metal mind did find itself drawn towards a couple of songs. In their own way, QR did for metal what Nirvana did for alternative music: had a number one album hit which helped, for better or for worse, to open the commercial floodgates for a genre that had previously been underground.

Kevin Dubrow was found dead this weekend in his Vegas home. No cause of death yet, but I'm sure we'll hear all about it. RIP Kevin.

5 comments:

Jay said...

Dave, cause of death has been determined: intracranial pressure, caused by brain edema, as a result of excessive banging of the head. (I had you for a minute though, didn't I?)

I must admit, I LOVE(d) Quiet Riot back when they had their moment in the sun. MTV used to play the shite out of QR's videos!

So we have Slade to thank for the heavy metal explosion of the mid-to-late 80s? That's a heavy cross to bear ...

Joe said...

From Wikipedia:

"'Metal Health' had displaced the Police's 'Synchronicity' and would reign at number one briefly before giving way to Lionel Richie's 'Can't Slow down' the following week."

Bang your head, indeed.

Jay said...

I LOVE Lionel Richie!

Dave said...

I'll assume Lurker's silence on this topic indicates that he is in deep mourning. Strength, Lurker, strength.

Jay said...

Ha ha ha.