Monday, August 06, 2007

Marshall Crenshaw


I and about 45 other people caught the actor who played Buddy Holly and John Lennon last night in Asheville. The Reigning Sound played on Saturday, but I didn't find this out until yesterday. Marshall was good, even if it was just him and a guitar. And he had his left foot mic'd. That's the first time I've ever seen that. Obviously I didn't know a lot of the later stuff, and he did a couple of covers, including one by Holly and '19th Nervous Breakdown,' but stuff like 'Whenever You're on My Mind' and 'Someday, Somewhere' were delights even in the stripped down version. An added bonus was the local Asheville beers the club had on tap. Yummy yummy yummy.

This could very well be the last good show I see for awhile, or at least until Dave invites me up to see someone. Of course, there will probably be a Toby Keith show or two.

4 comments:

Mike said...

Toby Keith, one can only hope.

Jay said...

I have yet to hear anything else from Crenshaw approaching the brilliance of "Whenever You're on My Mind" or "Someday, Someway," but he should be eligible for rock 'n' roll sainthood just for those two power-pop gems.

Dave said...

Questions:

A) What the hell are you doing in Asheville?

B) Did you take the J'ville job and if so, when are you moving?

C) Why did you ever live with Jay?

Joe said...

Questions:

A) What the hell are you doing in Asheville?
Mother-in-law lives here and I figured there are worse places to hang out and be unemployed.

B) Did you take the J'ville job and if so, when are you moving?
Yes, I did. Of course, I got contacted for another interview today in Charlotte. Grrr. Day 1 for me is Aug 16. Don't know when I'll be able to get the family over.

C) Why did you ever live with Jay?
I had nowhere else to go.