Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Flash! Ah-Ahhh!


Flash Gordon represents a defining moment for me. The weekend after I and some friends saw it, Mrs. Smith, my sixth grade English teacher, brought in a review from the paper that described, in graphic detail, how repellent this film was.

We were outraged.

Who was this moron? Had we not seen the same movie? To make things worse, Mrs. Smith seemed to be siding with the critic. Anyway, here's the defining moment part: it was the first time that I can remember openly disagreeing with an adult and defending my position.

As it turns out, we were both right. The film was meant to be a campy homage to the original serial – bad on purpose. Of course, I didn't get that when I was 11, but neither did the adult critic ...

The soundtrack, sampled at a staggering 320kbps, is my gift to you on this Wednesday morning. Settle back with a cup of Freedom Roast, pretend you're working, and enjoy.

(Joe, I look forward to your inevitable Dead Elvis post today.)

4 comments:

Dave said...

I will hang my head in shame and admit to never having seen Flash Gordon. I was probably too busy alphabetizing my Star Wars action figures. (Flesh Gordon I HAVE seen). I do dig that title track and I'll look forward to listening to more later. Is it worth viewing this movie now, or is mainly good for juvenile nostalgia?

Joe said...

I remember really liking that movie but thinking that I probably shouldn't. "Go, Flash, Go!"

Mike said...

I was totally enamoured with Flash, but certainly in a different way than Star Wars. It was a carnival for 13-year-old senses, full of sexy women in exotic costumes, fighting, betrayal, heroism and more sexy women in exotic costumes. And an unforgettable soundtrack, thanks Jay!

Jay said...

Worth viewing now Dave, provided you're in the right mood. But don't buy it or anything.