Thursday, July 19, 2007

Lower East Side Tenement Museum


Checking in from NYC - we had the good pleasure of staying at a very inexpensive and very funky hotel in Midtown, The Gershwin. One of the many highlights of the past couple of days was visiting the Lower East Side Tenement Museum. A lovingly maintained building on Orchard Street and Delancy allows you to see the squalor and tight spaces of immigrant life in the mid ninteenth to mid twentieth centuries. You have to book your tour in advance as the groups are small, but it is well worth it if you are going to be in the city. Add the sidewalk shopping and the many bars and restaurants of the area and it makes for a great day in the city.

4 comments:

Jay said...

Wow, that picture kinda reminds me of the old house on Court. Thanks for the update, and stay safe ...

Joe said...

I read an article about that museum. Good to have an unbiased review of it. Man, you're all over the place this summer, Becker!

Dave said...

I'm a traveling fool. Homer, Seattle, Spokane, Boston, NYC, and next week Atlanta (for work, alas). I['ve been home for 11 days since school got out. Oh yeah, and I like gin.

Jay said...

"I've been everywhere, man, I've been everywhere ..."