Thursday, January 22, 2009

The Ugly Suit



It's amazing what you'll find when you Google "Ugly Suit."

The band/CD that is so named is OK. It's been spinning in my truck since xmas and starting to grow on me. I was put off at first by how Wilco it sounded, to not be Wilco, but I've come around to it anyhow. There are some odd things about it, but I think it's worth a listen.

This ain't no stinkin book blog, but I'll mention 2 novels that I've read lately anyway: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time, which our Dave has mentioned, and Ironweed by William Kennedy, which is just a terrific little novel. Both are worth reading, should you find time for such a thing.

7 comments:

Joe said...

Thanks, Lurker. You know, in my opinion, this is refreshingly bright and cheery, replete with huge spirit-raising piano and guitar anthems. With a blend of spacey dream pop and a few alt-country flavors (lead singer Israel Hindman's voice mimicks Jeff Tweedy one minute, Conor Oberst the next), the group's sound draws comparisons to the Flaming Lips and the Shins, but the grandiosity of the music is that of space rock proportions.

Jay said...

You haven't listened to it yet, have you?

Dave said...

I will download later to determine my level of devotion or ambivilence. Thanks Lurker!

Mike said...

Joe: spot-on assessment, so true about the vocals, and it is the piano that kind of sets it apart for me. Glad you like it.

Andrew said...

Mark Haddon's second book, "A Spot of Bother," is also worth a red. Not quite as original as the Curious Incident book, but a light, amusing read, especially for those of us knocking on the door of middle age.

Mike said...

Thanks Andrew, sounds worth checking out.

Jay said...

Who's knocking? I'm in!