Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Mmmm, Beer . . .


My big project for this year is learning how to brew my own beer. I finished reading the excellent how-to manual pictured above, and I am off to the supply store this weekend, with a view to getting started the weekend after that. I'll keep you guys posted on my progress, but the reason for this premature post is that it occurred to me one or more of you might be interested in undertaking the same project, in which case we can get going at the same time and compare notes.

3 comments:

Mike said...

I can't think of a nobler pursuit. Good luck man, and Godspeed to you!

Dave said...

An excellent pastime and one you can enjoy with your son as he gets older. I did quite a lot of brewing with my old boss and later with my landlord in New Orleans. My biggest piece of advice: do NOT let it boil over onto your stove in the early stages. In fact, I'd invest in an outdoor burner and large pot (like you'd use for a crawfish boil).

Jay said...

And my advice is don't over-ferment. I made that mistake with my friend Mon, and the bottles that didn't explode produced instant foam when uncapped.

Good luck, sir. (You have to name your beer, you know.)