Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Did Someone Say Rock?


I'm embarrassed to admit that I somehow completely missed The Dickies. (My punk leanings are primarily of the New York and British flavors, not California.) But I recently watched a documentary about a tribute concert for Johnny Ramone in which The Dickies factored heavily, and I was prompted to go on a quest. Stukas Over Disneyland (1983) is the band's third release, lighter on the cartoon punk of their previous efforts, heavier on the power pop. Great fun, and worth a listen for the "Communication Breakdown" cover.

FTPROWYCO!

5 comments:

Joe said...

I also put Whatcha Doin' by The Go up there. It's lo-fi, but good.

Jay said...

Gracias.

Mike said...

Brian Johnson is saluting me right now.

Mike said...

The Dickies was OK, some of it, like Hunchback, was like sped up Ramones tunes with different lyrics. Burn Your Cardigan kicks the crap out of it, in any case.

Didn't think The Black Keys rocked much until I got past the first track (although it was good) and then it picked up in a big way. Pretty nice, had its moments and then some.

But the hard scratching on that itch came with The Go. Oh, fuck yeah, that's just what I was aching for. It's spinning for the second time now and I'm loving it.

Mike said...

Too bad The Go didn't have better production; they might have had Flop-like success.