Tuesday, June 19, 2007

William Eggleston (1 of 3)


It's not easy to talk about what makes an image interesting and involving, so I'll just say that William Eggleston's simply are. A documentary about him caught my eye last night because he lives in Memphis. The doc was no better than OK, but the barrage of his photos left me visually intoxicated. They're so simple, but utterly arresting. A quote of his was in the film, "The obvious is my enemy." His material wasn't the obvious, but it was contained in it. I went to the internets to see more, and did. Stayed tuned, this story is just beginning..

1 comment:

Jay said...

I've been into his stuff since I learned who took the photo for Big Star's Radio City. (When I saw the record sleeve at Shangri-La, I couldn't take my eyes off it!) We've got a couple of his books that the missus and I have given each other over the years, and they are absolutely gorgeous. I think the color saturation that he achieves is key - his photos seem larger than life ...