Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Achtung, Audiophiles!

I found this freaking cool software yesterday that converts old LPs, 45s, and cassettes to MP3s. After converting, you have the option of applying filters that can auto EQ and/or remove pops and crackles from vinyl (and hiss from tapes). In the trial version, you get three transfers; if you decide to buy, it's $34.95. At every step, you have the option of letting the software automate everything - setting recording levels, splitting tracks - and it even comes with tutorials that will help you assemble your recording equipment if you're an absolute beginner.

I've been dabbling with this archiving thing for the past few years, and this is the first time I've been totally happy with the results. I'm still learning when to EQ and when not to EQ, but here are some examples of my experiments with "before" and "afters" for comparison. (Audacity is decent freeware; MusicMatch was too, until Yahoo bought it and totally fucked it up.)

Public Image Ltd. - "Bags"
(Audacity)
(Acoustica Spin It Again)

Alice Cooper - "No More Mister Nice Guy"
(MusicMatch? Can't remember)
(Acoustica Spin It Again)

Learn more about Acoustica Spin It Again.

3 comments:

Joe said...

My records are in a box. Boxes, I should say. MOVING SUCKS!!!

Jay said...

Right there with you. I'll never move again, if I can help it.

Mike said...

I no longer possess a device for scratching music out of grooved vinyl.

You're so right about MusicMatch since Yahoo bought it. Tripe.