Friday, April 04, 2008

Speaking Of Great Music


Did anybody know The Breeders had a new one coming out next week? Me either. The above performance is from their last release that I knew nothing about, 2002's Title TK. This song is called "Huffer," and what's not to LOVE? Great hooks, Kim Deal's amazing voice, poppy harmonies, driving eighth-note b-b-b-b-b-b-b-bass, playful call-and-response guitars ... And man, I'm a sucker for drummers who pound the hell out of 'em with clock-like precision, but make it look as effortless as reading the newspaper. I dare you to try to get this one of your head after a couple listens ...

Full disclosure: I had a major crush on Kim Deal back in the 90's.

5 comments:

Joe said...

Yeah, I remember when that video (Cannonball?) used to come on, you'd run to your room and close the door. What was up with that? What could you have possibly done in the 28 seconds you were locked in there?

Mike said...

Be honest, your crush was on Frank Black.

I saw the Breeders at The New Daisy and came away loving their opening act The Jon Spencer Blues Explosion. Glad to get some new Breeders though.

Andrew said...

I once stood next to Kim Deal during the opening act at a Pixies show. Being English, neither I nor any of my friends said anything to her.

Jay said...

Ha ha ha. That's gotta be some intimidating shit for anybody. (I don't think I would've said anything, either.)

Listening party for the new one is here.

Dave said...

I never liked the Breeders, but not for any good reasons. In my rock and roll righteousness, I was mad that the success I felt Frank Black 'deserved' was somehow usurped by Kim and the Breeders and their 2 or 3 monster hits. Man, that was dumb. I need to go back and listen with a fresh ear.