Monday, May 07, 2007

May the Wind Take Your Troubles Away

After much hemming and hawing (I'm too busy, broke, tired, out of weed, etc.), I decided to go see Son Volt because one of the two friends I have in Austin (I've only lived here for 4 years) invited me. I must say, I'm glad I went. I haven't heard the new album, but it came across beautifully live, as did every other song they played. Don't know if you're familiar with them, but Jay Farrar has a tendency to come across as a bit of a downer (not that there's anything wrong with that, necessarily). For this show, it was all thunder, though. They brought it every song and didn't let up. They threw in a bit of Uncle Tupelo ("Life Worth Living," and "Chickamagua") and all the necessary old stuff ("Windfall" of course). They even brought out horns for a couple of songs.

It's nights like this that make me really think leaving Austin isn't the best thing to do. It just seems that every band that plays here brings their "A" game, and there are so so so many shows throughout the year. Sigh.

And they're playing Memphis (Young Avenue Deli) on the 9th. Of course, I'm sure it would be too much for the old fart Memphis bastards to make it out on a weeknight.

5 comments:

Dave said...

I really dig Son Volt. I could really picture that they would put on a great show. I know leaving Austin will be tough for musical reasons, but think of all those awesome Top 40 cover bands they have in Jacksonville!

Joe said...

No shit! Maybe I can find one that does 80s covers! Wouldn't that be great?!

Actually, I applied for a job in Barbados yesterday. Ifn I get it, I'm a goin. I can deal with Steel Bands for awhile.

Mike said...

I've seen Farrar twice, at the New Daisy with Son Volt and solo at Young Ave. I love his voice and his better songs, but both shows drug for me a bit. I'll bet he was better in Austin.

Get the job, we'll visit! Bastardos in Barbados, sounds like a cool album or a bad movie.

Jay said...

Geez Dave, kick a man when he's down.

So Joe, just what is the latest with the job search?

Mike, I'll call you by name just so I don't leave anybody out.

Joe said...

The job search is a bit like the house selling. Nothing, nothing, nothing. I'm just waiting for the something, something, something, that I'm sure (oh, God, please) will come along.