Thursday, May 17, 2007

Again With The Of Montreal


I can't stop listening to Of Montreal's Hissing Fauna, Are You The Destroyer? - it's a solid effort from start to finish. My favorite track as of this moment is "A Sentence Of Sorts In Kongsvinger." Should I mention that the album more or less chronicles the disintegration of Kevin Barnes's marriage and subsequent mental collapse? Yes, I should. Should I also mention that this particular song combines some particularly dark, introspective lyrics to a bouncy disco-inflected pop song? Nah. (But I do like the playful comparison of his depression to black metal bands in Norway ...)

A Sentence Of Sorts In Kongsvinger

I spent the winter on the verge of a total break
Down while living in Norway
I felt the darkness of the black metal bands
But being such a fawn of a man I didn't burn down
Any old churches
Just slept way too much
Just slept

My mind rejects the frequency
It's static craziness to me
Is it a solar fever?
The TV man's too loud
Our plane is sleeping on a cloud
You turn the dial
I'll try and smile
We've eaten plastic weather
This family sticks together
We will escape from the south to the west side
My mind rejects the frequency
It's just verbosity to me

I spent the winter with my nose buried in a book
While trying to restructure my character
'Cause it had become vile to its creator
And through many dreadful nights I lay praying to a saint
That nobody has heard of
And waiting for some high times
To come again

Dirty old shadow stay away
Don't play your games with me
I am old and now I see
The way you operate
If you don't hurt me then you die

4 comments:

Mike said...

That was the first song that really jumped out to me, too.

Jay said...

I've burned through all my gig money, but The Sunlandic Twins looks good, too.

Mike said...

So if someone else were to, I don't know? Buy, shall we say? Buy another Of Montreal CD to share with other bastards, you would recommend Sunlandic?

Jay said...

I don't know what you're talking about.

(iTunes takes credit cards.)