Thursday, November 16, 2006

I, Journalist

So don't ask me how this all went down, but I am going to be interviewing John Wesley Harding, one of my musical and literary heroes, this December in Brooklyn, NY. The assignment is for an online magazine called Being There which was started up a couple years ago by some folks I know from the Elvis Costello Fan Site. I had contacted Wes (see, I get to call him Wes) last fall through his website because I knew he was in touch with some mutual friends after Katrina and I needed a way to get in touch with some of them. I also mentioned to him that some of my JWH CDs were lost in the deluge, and he immediately mailed them all to me, free of charge. An online 'friendship' was born. Long story short, he kindly consented to meet me for some drinks and talk a day or two after Christmas and I am very excited by the whole thing. I need some help from you idiots as far as questions I can ask without sounding like a total tool. Suggestions?

3 comments:

Joe said...

I thought our job was to make each other look like total tools...

Seriously, that's awesome. I used to play his stuff when I was djing in college, but haven't heard much of his stuff since then. He's definitely a unique talent.

What are you interviewing him about? Latest album...creative process...Bob Dylan?

Jay said...

Hey, ask him if Joe's ever going to finish his dissertation.

Jay said...

Seriously, here are some questions to ask after you've had a few drinks ...

1) What is his earliest childhood memory?
2) What three personal items would he take from his burning home?
3) What did he want to be when he grew up?
4) What are his five all time favorite albums?
5) What is something he'd like to change about himself?