Wednesday, April 01, 2009

My new blog


Given that it seems I am the only one of us without a blog to call my own, I finally decided to start one along the lines of Dave’s "28 books" except that mine is a bit more low-brow and focuses on my well known fondness for tarts. The basic plan is to chronicle my various experiences with sweet and savory tarts, both here in DC, and also on my frequent business trips, but I’m also hoping to feature some more in-depth posts on tart-related topics such as:

Are hot tarts better? Generally speaking yes, but they are also harder to find and usually more expensive. If you haven’t had a tart in a while it may not be worth holding out for a hot one.

Are ethnic tarts worth trying? In many cases yes, but be careful! I’m quite partial to Indian and Latin American tarts (I enjoyed a very fresh little Mexican tart just last weekend), although some people find them too spicy, and of course the French are famous for having very attractive tarts. Eastern European tarts, however, while cheap, are often tough and rather stale.

Where can I find the best tarts, especially in a strange city? This is largely a matter of experience. In many of the older European cities there are specific districts where it is easy to find a good tart. In New Orleans and other warm weather cities, you can often track down some fantastic tarts just by following your nose. If in doubt, the concierge of your hotel will usually be able to tell you where to go.

Anyway, I hope you all will check it out. The URL is www.ilikeanicetart.blogspot.com.

3 comments:

Jay said...

First question for the new blog: is it appropriate to enjoy a tart while others watch?

Dave said...

I once had two tarts at once, but I felt really awkward.

Mike said...

The new blog really hit the spot today for me!