Thursday, October 02, 2008

Music for Smart Guys


I've made some recent music acquisitions that I Forgot To Post. The most recent, Okkervil River's "The Stand-Ins," is pretty good in an indy, brainy rock kind of way. Also up there is the much lauded Fleet Foxes, which has its moments (lovely harmonies, shiny Americana, etc.), but might be a little over-hyped (don't tell Jeff Tweedy I said that). Finally, you may find, if you look, the latest Silver Jews, which could be considered an acquired taste, but is definitely an entertaining listen, given lyrics like "Father drove a steam roller / Mama was a crossing guard / She got rolled when he got steamed / And I got left in charge."

Okkervil River plays this Friday night in Wilmington. I'll be there. Anybody got bells I can borrow?

3 comments:

Jay said...

That counts me out. I'll still try to give 'em a listen. Thanks!

Dave said...

Muchas gracias Senor Jose. Me gusta mucho.

Mike said...

The lyric you quoted hooked me. Looking forward to hearing it all, thanks!