Monday, October 13, 2008

Dear Science


I picked up the new one from TV On The Radio, and I agree with the critics.

It's Career-defining stuff. Dear Science, the third album from the Brooklyn-based art rock band TV on the Radio, is a vivid, angry, sensual soundtrack to the haunted life. No two tracks are the same, none could be anyone else. This is one irresistible party: the joy Adebimpe was looking for is right here. A great, great record. TV on the Radio have finally made an album that someone other than hyper-analytical music critics might actually enjoy. Dear Science, has all the euphoria and cosmic soul searching hinted at but not delivered on by lesser chancers such as MGMT. Yes, this is shit-hot thrilling music. But it's also brainy and ambivalent, and more engaging for it.

But seriously, if you're one oF Those People who like this kind of stuff, you'll like this. But that goes without saying, doesn't it?

Also, the 'Mats "Pleased to Meet Me" reissue is out there as well.

6 comments:

Mike said...

Looking forward to it, thanks!

I'm really digging the Silver Jews. It has shades of Johnny Cash, Leo Cohen and Lou Reed somehow. And isn't that like saying some entity has shades of God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit? Are their earlier albums this good?

Dave said...

Mucho thankso. Or something like that. By the way, as part of a '1960s Research Unit' that I'm doing, I made my kids listen to 'I Want To Hold Your Hand', 'Strawberry Fields', 'Ball of Confusion' and 'White Rabbit' today. And guess what? They loved it all. Damn kids.

Andrew said...

Nice one. I guess I missed the Okkervil River.

Joe said...

I'll put it back up, Andy.

Andrew said...

Much appreciated. Will be a couple of days before I am back at the home computer.

Dave said...

I like this. My only gripe (besides the steep price Joe made me mail him) is that some songs are a little looooong. I can't quit my love for the two and half minute tune.