Thursday, February 21, 2008

I (Heart) DBT


Man, I loves me some Drive-by Truckers. I picked up the new album, Brighter Than Creation's Dark this weekend and it hasn't left my CD player since. I don't know if you bastards go for this kind of thing, but they're one of my favorites, mostly due to having seen them live a few times.

Hilites for me are a couple of the Cooley compositions, "3 Dimes Down" and "Self Destructive Zones," and Patterson Hood's "The Righteous Path," and "That Man I Shot" (one of two "anti-war" songs by him on the album). I missed their last album, but would have to say this ranks up with their best, even if it could stand to be three or four songs shorter. If you're interested in other earlier stuff, let me know. This one is For The Peterbilts.

I'm planning on heading over to Asheville at the end of March to see them. Live, they are full-speed ahead, and their audience loves 'em. They're playing in Memphis on the 14th, but I don't think I can make it over.

A nice Pitchfork interview suggests they may do a tour with the Hold Steady. Be still my beating heart.

6 comments:

Jay said...

I'll just admit right now that I can't keep up with all the new music, but I suppose that's a good problem to have. Thanks, (Almost) Dr. Rowland!

Dave said...

Dear Dr.,

Perhaps your trip to A-Ville could include a pit stop in Durham.

Sincerely,

Your Patient

Mike said...

Has Joe been doctorized? I suppose that's Dr. Bastard now.

Joe said...

Not yet. I turned in my dissertation for review, though, so hopefully the hardest part is over.

Mike said...

That a huge milestone, soon-to-be El Docteur Bastardo.

Mike said...

In Italy, the family and friends of a new Dr. celebrate by chanting “Dottore! Dottore! Dottore del buso del cul, vaffancul!!!vaffancul!!!” to them. (This isn't actually all that flattering.)