Monday, February 25, 2008

Hello, Frank..

Interesting article on Donnie Darko, one of the most often watched disks on my shelf. (That is, I watch the movie encoded on it, I don't stare at the physical disk.)

"More impressive still, he evokes the life of a late-'80s adolescent with a tone that hovers somewhere between nostalgia and dread. It's very hard, especially when the soundtrack is this irresistible, to revisit a period without making it seem like facile "I Love The '80s" nostalgia."


One of my favorite lines:

New Girl: "Donnie Darko? Your name makes you sound like a superhero or something."

Donnie: "What makes you think I'm not one?"

5 comments:

Dave said...

I never saw Donnie Darko until a few months ago when it passed through my netflix queue. I tried really hard to like it, but it just didn't grab me. I might need to give it another spin.

Jay said...

It's been awhile, but I remember liking it. May need to add it to our queue ...

Mike said...

I thought it was interesting the first time, for some reason was drawn to watch it again and found it utterly hypnotic.

Joe said...

Loved it. First time I saw it, I was kind of annoyed by it, but for some reason found myself watching it again the next night and being enthralled by it.

Jay said...

Good use of Patrick Swayze, too.