Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Holy Grail Of Post-Pistols Output


Thank doG for the internets. Back when I was in high school, I had a documentary called D.O.A. that chronicled the first wave of punk with lots of live footage (Sex Pistols, X-ray Spex, Dead Boys, Generation X). The film is now out of print - and probably always will be - thanks to some bullshit legal wrangling.

But one of the performances was by The Rich Kids, the band that Glen Matlock put together after he got thrown out of the Pistols. They weren't together for very long and only released one album, the Mick Ronson produced Ghosts Of Princes In Towers. Over the years, I have searched off-and-on for a copy of that album, often referred to by those in the know as a "lost gem."

Fellow bastards, after twenty-something years, my search has come to an end. Interestingly, and I don't know if this is the songwriting or the production, they remind me a lot of these guys.

Ghosts is certainly worth a listen, but I'll Find The Punk and you tell me what you think. As a bonus, check out their appearance on TOTP from January, 1978. Well, not you Joe.

2 comments:

Jay said...

I've given it a thorough listen, and this disc is wildly uneven. Still some keepers, though.

Joe said...

"Ghosts of Princes in Towers" was on D.I.Y.: Teenage Kicks: UK Pop I (1976-79)that I know I used to have, but can't find. I think I had a cassette. Some of it is excellent, but like you say, it's pretty uneven. I can see the Exploding Hears comparison.