Friday, September 14, 2007

Floppy Weekend

You asked fer it, ya got it. Please enjoy not one, not two, but three Flop albums at F*&^ The Paradigm. For the uninitiated, Flop was, in my opinion, the finest band to come out of the Northwest in the 1990s.

What? Dave, are you nuts? Yes, I am. Nuts for Flop.

Flop, led by guitarist/vocalist/songwriter Rusty Willoughby (Pure Joy, Fastbacks, Llama) played amazingly catchy power pop with extremely dense and obtuse lyrics held together by amazing melodies and great vocals. I tried to model Pophead on Flop, but I didn't have the talent. Still, the ideas stuck and to me, Flop is the by far the best example of the early 90s power pop, heavy rock singles band (with the Smoking Popes a close second).

Album One is Flop and the Fall of the Mopsqueezer, an absolute tour de force. I defy anyone to find an album with a better first nine songs. The rest are great too, but the first nine rock my world. I've yet to meet anyone who didn't become horribly addicted to this album, forsaking work, kids, and spouses just to hear it. Kurt Bloch of the Fastbacks and the Fellows produced, there's a Ray Davies cover, and the Young Brians opened a couple time for the boys during this time period. 'Hello' is a special favorite, and a song I've covered many times.

Album Two is the slightly less successful Whenever You're Ready. By 'less successful', I mean 'still incredible, just not as incredible'. This was their major label debut, a deal that didn't really work out for them. Rusty writes amazing songs, but they are not exactly 'I love you' Top 40 fodder. Which is why we love 'em.

Album Three is World of Today, Flop's swan song. Tasty tunes and great production will keep you begging for more. But there isn't any. Enjoy, Bastards, enjoy.

PS: Did any of you *&^%weeds ever listen to the Parasites? Or that first Cheap Trick album? Feedback? Throw a brother a bone ferchrissakes.

9 comments:

Mike said...

Wow, I'm really excited about Flop, thanks! And thanks for the Parasites reminder. I did download the second version, but got distracted and haven't dipped my ear in it yet. I'm also meaning to go on a Cheap Trick bender soon, I'll start with Album 1.

Jay said...

Parasites FUCKING ROCK.

Never really got into Cheap Trick, though. Not my cup of tea. (Sarcasm used with kind permission of Mike Lurker.)

Dunno how I missed CT's first, Dave. Damn fine it is, and in heavy iTunes rotation at the moment.

Mike said...

Holy shit, that Parasites stuff kicks ass! I don't quite put it on a par with The Subteens, because it lacks the inspired bridges, like the "Not into long good-byes" bridge in Time to Panic. But it's really fine stuff.

Dave said...

I used to love this awesome cover band in Spokane when I was just getting into playing guitar. They were called Black Rose and their guitar player ended up as my first teacher. He also introduced me to Jamie, so he was a pretty profound person in my early rock and roll life. Anywho, his band used to cover 'Speak Now or Forever Hold Your Peace' off of Cheap Trick, which is how I grew to love that song. Covers his band did also got me into Joe Jackson (It's Different for Girls), Tom Petty (Breakdown) and INXS (Don't Change). In between they did lots of stuff I didn't love, like ZZ Top or whatever, but they had a pretty big impact on me.

Can't wait to hear Lurker's thoughts on the Flop stuff.

Susan Harwood and Lucy Corrander said...

Hello Dave

I�m writing to people who list �The Hardy Boys� in the �Favourite Books� section of their blogger�s profile.

I have a blog called THE BRICKS IN THE CAVE and I�m posting a chapter a day there of an illustrated adventure story - which is also called THE BRICKS IN THE CAVE (!).

When I first wrote it, I reckoned boys aged 7 - 11 would form its greatest readership. None the less, I�m hoping other people will like it too!

It can be found at

http://bricksinthecave.blogspot.com/

It strikes me that it would be a good idea to ask those who like The Hardy Boys if it is the kind of thing they would have enjoyed when they were younger (and whether it appeals to them at whatever age they are now!).

If you do have time to take a look at it, I would be very interested to know what you think. I have already had some thoughtful comments from Famous Five fans and your opinions would be equally helpful when I approach a publisher. (And just as useful to know if this wouldn�t even be relevant!)

I can be contacted at

bricksinthecave@googlemail.com

As well as through the blog itself.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Susan Harwood
http://bricksinthecave.blogspot.com/

Dave said...

You heard the lady pop culture lovers!

Joe said...

Dave, I think she misunderstood that your interests are "hardy" boys, and not the Hardy Boys.

And I love the Parasites, by the way. How did I never hear about them? I also remember you introducing those of us at 1957 Court to 'Fall of the Mopsqueezer' at about the same time you introduced us to UO. I remain forever in your debt.

Joe said...

Man, this is good stuff!

Mike said...

Flop has been the warm, soothing audio jacuzzi I really needed this week. The first time I heard Around counts as a noteworthy moment in my musical life, and I had to listen to it twice more before moving on!

Why exactly did it take everyone so long to turn me onto Flop?? Is this some kind of extended hazing of the new guy?