Monday, April 09, 2007

Feel the Pharmacists...?

I sold some motorcycle parts late last week and spent all the money on music. Ted Leo and the Pharmacist's 'Living With the Living' is powerpop bliss. A couple of distractions, but there are a few songs that are just brilliant - "Colleen" and "La Costa Brava" stand out immediately. The guy's obviously been listening to the same music we have. You know where...

I also went and saw the True Believers this weekend at the Continental Club. I had heard of them for years, but never had the pleasure. Now I wonder what I've been doing with my time. They were SO loud and SO GOOD! Alejandro Escovedo's brother, Javier, is like a Mexican Dave Davies. They just smoked from beginning to end. Jim Dickinson produced them back in the day. Unfortunately no recording is available at this time.

They had a band called 'Manejo Beto' open for them, a Tejano punk band, more or less. Their CD doesn't do their live show justice at all, but is fun for a listen. They came across a lot better with a head full of beer and a lot of cute girls dancing. That's the way it goes, I guess. It's up too.

Finally, there's 'Flies on Sherbert.' You can see why AC produced the Cramps around this time. Also by Dickinson and also up.

And Mike Lurker, your Dylan 101 begins with 'Blonde on Blonde' and 'Blood on the Tracks.' The two, if not best, at least most important / accessible of the post folk stuff. And my hippy friend loaned me some old hip hop stuff, Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy and The Beatnigs, both of which involved Michael Franti.

Happy Monday, Bastards!

4 comments:

Mike said...

Wow, sweet haul for a Monday, thanks! The live music opportunities would be one of the many reasons to love living in Austin. Glad to get the Dylan, too.

Mike said...

You got all that for freakin' motorcycle parts? I should've tried to sell the guts of my splattered TV!

Joe said...

Live music is THE reason to live in Austin. This weekend alone we had Mike Leo, TV on the Radio, and Yo La Tengo. It's relentless.

Jay said...

Man, Ted Leo's "Who Do You Love?" is the bee's knees. Thank you, sir.