Friday, April 13, 2007

Dylan 303 - Follow The Prophet


Continuing Mike Lurker's education of Dylan's later works, I suggest Desire, Planet Waves, and Street Legal.

Notes:
Desire - "Hurricane," "Sara," "One More Cup of Coffee," lots of violin, and the album which was around the time of the Rolling Thunder Revue. I also really like "Joey" and "Isis"

She said, "Where ya been?" I said, "No place special."
She said, "You look different." I said, "Well, not quite."
She said, "You been gone." I said, "That's only natural."
She said, "You gonna stay?" I said, "If you want me to, Yes."

Planet Waves - With the Band, "Tough Mama" is the last song I want to hear before I die.

Street Legal - the chorus of black girls on almost every song gets a bit tiresome, but worth it for "Where Are You Tonight?" and "Senor (Tales of Yankee Power)".

Listen to these after you've memorized "Visions of Johanna" and can explain why the ghost of electricity howls in the bones of her face.

2 comments:

Mike said...

I'm taking notes over here. A Dylan mentor is what I've always needed, thanks! If I can return the favor with some music, let me know. Jaime knows what I got (since most of it used to be his!)

Dave said...

Good advice on 'Desire'- its definitely a huge favorite, especially if I'm on a road trip. Not as crazy about the other two, but they are better than Self Portrait and some of the 80s stuff. I'm really partial to Oh Mercy, especially with its New Orleans genesis and am a huge fan of the last three albums. BTW, the SACD versions of these albums are just mind-blowingly great, even on standard equipment.