Friday, October 23, 2009

Where the Wild Things Are


Anyone else seen this? I found it to be quite excellent. Spike Jonze has gone for a sun-dappled, washed out look that manages to illuminate and make you feel cold at the same time. I felt like it really captures the particular melancholy that is present in childhood. In fact, the movie isn't a children's movie at all- it's a movie about children, an important distinction in helping to decide whether or not your little ones will like it. On the con side, it dragged a bit, but the overall look and ideas made up for it for me.

4 comments:

Mike said...

I've never seen a movie of Spike's that I didn't at least think was interesting. This one's on my short list with Paranormal Activity, which has piqued my curiosity.

Jay said...

Good to know. We'll leave the kids home for this one.

I still want to see Zombieland and The Informant! ...

Joe said...

I want to see those too, Jay. My kids really want to see Wild Things, so I'll probably take them anyway. I am also looking forward to 'Astro Boy.'

Jay said...

Astro Boy's supposed to be a good kid flick. Not so much for the growners.