Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Are you kidding me?



According to today's Daily Telegraph:
[Polanski] pleaded guilty to the lesser charge of unlawful sexual intercourse. In exchange, the judge agreed to drop the remaining charges and sentence him to prison for a 90-day psychiatric evaluation.

However, he was released after 42 days by an evaluator who deemed him mentally sound and unlikely to offend again.

The judge responded by saying he was going to send Polanski back to jail for the remainder of the 90 days and that afterward he would ask Polanski to agree to a "voluntary deportation". Polanski then fled the country in 1978 on the day he was scheduled to be sentenced to the additional time.

So this was all over an extra 48 days in jail?

6 comments:

Dave said...

Polanski is a talented artist and a complete idiot and jackass. I had the same reaction Andrew. 48 days in the pokey in exchange for being able to move about freely for the last 30 years seems like a reasonable trade off to me. And that doesn't even begin to address the act that got him into this trouble in the first place. Society generally frowns upon the drugging and raping of 14 year olds.

Andrew said...

I notice that Jack Nicholson has been keeping pretty quiet about all of this!

Dave said...

And where the hell is Sean Penn?

Jay said...

I'm a little sketchy, but didn't it happen at Nicholson's house?

Joe said...

I find it hard to believe anyone would openly defend him, but evidently a lot of people in the film community were pretty up in arms about his being arrested. Also, the woman who was at the time the girl has evidently said she's okay with his being released.

Coincidentally, I am reading Helter Skelter.

Mike said...

I'm also shocked all this is over a lousy 48 days, I'd missed that.