Saturday, July 11, 2009

My Mustang



This, my friends, was my first car. Not the same kind of car as my first car, but the actual one -- we sold our '66 Mustang convertible to the man in the driver's seat.

Damn, she was sweet, and oh, how I abused her! We would go out biscuit doughing* in this car, just to get angry people to chase us. This car had a Pioneer sound system that disturbed neighborhoods I wasn't even driving through, and had a modified 289 engine that would fly. It's where I first jammed The Sex Pistols, Killing Joke, Oingo Boingo, The Smiths, Gen X, Billy Idol, Echo and the Bunnymen, The Cramps, King Crimson, Frankie Goes To Hollywood, Flock of Seagulls and many others.

Its windshield was once smashed by a redneck with a tire tool who I had fucked with on the hallowed grounds of Harding Academy. And one perfect night in late summer of 1985, I was driving around with the top down, listening to ZZ Top with an adult friend who tried to impress upon me the specialness of what we were doing. I didn't get it then, but now I do.

Ah, youth is wasted on the young!

*An activity that involved throwing biscuit dough at the windshields of cars driving in the opposite direction, to invoke outrage that would cause targeted cars to try to catch us. Some chased, but never did catch us, not even the cop car we once inadvertently hit.

6 comments:

Dave said...

She's a beaut!

Joe said...

Man, nice car. My first car was a '63 Convertible VW. We never threw raw pizza dough at anyone from it, but the rest of it all sounds familiar.

Did you happen upon it in a parking lot this weekend or something?

Mike said...

There was a story in the Commercial Appeal about an upcoming Mustang show and that picture was in it. He's actually the one putting the show together. Wish the picture showed more car, that really took me back.

Jay said...

I think I remember that vehicle! What did you do to get your windshield smashed at Harding?

My first was a red(dish) 1977 Honda Civic ...

Mike said...

Remind me to tell you the story over lunch someday.

Dante Mallet said...

That is definitely a sweet ride! And she certainly gives you some memorable moments. Still, you should be proud. From the looks of it, she doesn’t look abused or neglected. Your car looks just fine.