Friday, June 19, 2009

Up Your ... Alley


From YouTube:
Todd Schorr: American Surreal is the first mid-career retrospective of the Los Angeles-based artist. Schorr is a leading figure in Southern California's cartoon-based movement, dubbed Pop Surrealism, which embraces low-brow culture and a ribald graphic style indebted to pop sources such as Mad magazine. Schorrs astonishing, highly polished realism, (inspired by Bosch, Brueghel and Dali), sets him apart from his best-known peers such as Camille Rose Garcia, Gary Baseman, and Mark Ryden. The exhibition, curated by SJMAs Senior Scholar and Curator of Collections Susan Landauer, is accompanied by a book published by Last Gasp, San Francisco.
Reminds me of Candykiller a bit. Todd Schorr's official site is here. I embedded the playlist from YouTube, so 5 two minute videos should play consecutively.

3 comments:

Mike said...

Amazing stuff! His name is so familiar for some reason, but I don't remember having run across his stuff before.

Jay said...

Dunno, but I checked off every one of his inspirations in my head as he listed them. Hey, me too, but with none of your talent!

Mike said...

Fascinating guy to listen to. I loved his justification for using acrylics.

MIA: Loony Tunes. Did you notice?