Monday, June 08, 2009

Lost in Translation

This one is probably a bit redundant, because I am pretty sure you chaps spend even more time than I do watching tape-delayed editions of Sky Soccer Saturday. On the off chance that isn't true, this is the ultimate realization of that uniquely British phenomenon -- the sports highlights show without the highlights. Lacking the rights to show clips of any games it is not actually showing live, Sky instead has a studio show, where the presenters all watch the games on monitors and tell us about them, and the immortal "Kammy" who reports live from one stadium each week, always a few minutes behind the action, and always totally befuddled. The second clip is the presenter, Jeff Stelling, defending the northern city of Middlesborough from Southern metrosexuals "who call their mushy peas guacamole and have babyshambles as their ringtone."



3 comments:

Mike said...

The more Brit telly I watch, the more I realize that Monty Python was actually subtle.

Dave said...

Hilarious. I hate to break it to the guy in the second clip, but I've never heard of any of the famous sons and daughters of the city he's defending. I have, however, heard of Babyshambles.

Jay said...

I had to fight like a ... like a ... beaver to make it through that second clip.

Seriously, the idea of televising someone commenting on a game, but NOT the actual game borders on the surreal. Can you imagine watching pr0n like that? Can you?