Friday, June 06, 2008

Summer Cocktails


It is going to be around 100 this weekend in DC (you know its hot when people visiting from new Orleans are complaining about it), and accordingly my thoughts turn to refreshing summer cocktails, made by the pitcher, which invigorate the heat-dulled senses, chill the fevered brow, and invite optimistic remarks like “We should get a croquet set this year . . .”

Unlike the unusual, and not unpleasant as an aperitif, “caprese martini” pictured above (how could I resist), below is a recipe for what I contend to be the perfect summer cocktail – the “Cuke.” (The recipe is not original to me, but I can’t remember where I read it.) the challenge is on . . . .

6 limes, rinsed
1 cup packed mint leaves, no stems (optional garnish)
3 unwaxed cucumbers
1\2 cup sugar
2 cups Hendricks gin
Sparkling water

Thinly slice 3 limes and 2 cucumbers and place in pitcher. Add juice of other 3 limes and sugar. Muddle and add liquor. Steep in fridge for at least 30 mins. Fill glasses with ice, pour the mix about ¾ full, top with splash of sparkling water and (if you feel like it) a mint leaf.

3 comments:

Joe said...

I have to say I've never tried cucumbers in a cocktail. I tend to shy away from drinks that require either work (muddling) or waiting (30 mins), but I'll give this one a shot.

Andrew said...

Well, yeah, I usually have a couple of beers while it is infusing.

Dave said...

Pimm's cup is nice with a cucumber. Can't get Pimm's in NC though Joe.