Tuesday, June 17, 2008

A Controversy



Jay and I were discussing the lyrics of "I Will Dare" from 'Let It Be.' Jay Felt That Paul was singing "I ain't lost yet/so I gotta be a winner/bacon and cigarettes a lousy dinner," where I always thought it was 'fingernails and cigarettes.' These people suggest it is 'bacon,' but a guy here claims Paul himself told him it was 'fingernails':

I said, "Could you write, 'bacon and cigarettes, a lousy dinner'?"

He looked up at me through those thick blue Lennon glasses that have become
his solo career trademark, and asked, "What song is that from?"

"It's from 'I Will Dare,'" I reminded him.

At first I thought he was bullshitting, but he just stared at me with a confused look on his face. His eyes like vacant little commas behind blue cough drops. The silence became uncomfortable so I sang the line to him. "I ain't lost yet, so I gotta be a winner, bacon and cigarettes, a lousy dinner."

As he looked at me his puzzled look was washed away with a relieved expression. "No, no, that's not what I say," he said, like he figured out the answer to a riddle we had been working on together, "I say, 'fingernails, cigarettes, a lousy dinner.' You know? Like you're nervous and you're chewing your fingernails and smoking?"

He opened his eyes wide and made a motion like a nervous cartoon character with his teeth chattering on his fingers.
Listen for yourself. But I'm right as usual. Also, in the special place you will find the following:

Al Green - Lay It Down (new - produced by ?uestlove from the Roots)

Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin - Pershing (if the first song doesn't hook you, you can't be hooked)

My Morning Jacket - Evil Urges (Jury's still out)

Now do you like me...?

5 comments:

Dave said...

I think 'like' is not a strong enough term. And you're right on the Westerberg. And I only say that because I want Jay to be wrong.

Jay said...

I'll admit I was wrong if Joe will admit he's a transvestite. I've heard "bacon" for the last 20 years, but the reissue makes it obvious it's "fingernails." (There's an extra syllable in there.) Damn, I hate when Joe's right. Luckily, it doesn't happen that often.

Joe said...

I'll admit I'm a transvestite when Jay admits his wife's a beard.

Mike said...

Nice musical haul, very excited to hear more Boris and Al!

I thought the line was "crayfish tails, raisinets.."

Jay said...

Nobody likes a smart ass.