Tuesday, February 06, 2007

What I'm Reading Lately

I highly, highly recommend this book to you guys.

On the surface, it's the story of a struggle to survive in post-apocalyptic America, and it's just as scary as you would imagine total chaos to be: ALL flora and fauna are dead, food and shelter are scarce, it's cold and rainy, mummified remains litter the landscape ...

But the book's not really science fiction. The relationship between a father and son is what drives this thing, and the hope for a better existence in the face of total desolation. Reading this, it sounds like a real downer, but The Road is actually very uplifting (although there is some pretty grim shit going down).

There are several powerful themes, but here's one that stuck with me: under these same circumstances, would you be capable of killing your child if your own death were imminent?

Learn more here, where I discovered it.

3 comments:

Joe said...

I really want to read this. The age of literary giants might be dead, but McCarthy belongs up there with the Hemingways, Steinbecks and Beckers of American letters.

Dave said...

Thanks for the tip- I'm always looking for a new voice. Mostly because mine sucks. I actually like this type of fiction quite a lot- not 'science fiction' per se, but 'post-apocolyptic' fiction. Loved Children of Men, The Stand, etc.

Jay said...

Right up your alley, my good man.