Thursday, April 27, 2006

Remember When I Thought Morrisey Sucked?

When I first got into 'alternative' music, I bought the Smiths Strangeways Here We Come (to go with my obligatory REM, Husker Du, Dinosaur, and Replacements LPs). I loved the leadoff track and a couple of others, but I just didn't get it. Hence, my appreciation for the Smiths has always been second rate at best. I picked up a Best of Morrisey solo type thing many years ago and liked a couple more songs, but his warbly melodicism and wordiness tended to leave me cold.

Finally, when You Are the Quarry dropped a year or two ago, I heard a single and picked up the album and was dumbstruck at how amazing it was and how much his voice had grown on me, as if through osmosis. "First of the Gang to Die", "Irish Blood, English Heart" and "All the Lazy Dykes" gave me a new appreciation for his amazing melodic invention.

Now I'm back into the Smiths. I dug out Strangeways again and am wondering how I missed this stuff the first time. Maybe I've just experienced more misery in my life and can relate better. I must say however, that Moz's falsetto vocals on "Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now" still rank as the gayest thing I've heard since Jay tried to cover "Beautiful" by Christina Aguilera.

2 comments:

Joe said...

Can't stand him. I always wanted to get the vocals dubbed out of Smiths albums so I could listen to them objectively. I tried to like them, but just couldn't take his voice and his personality (anyone making a Dylan comment here gets popped in the mouth). They're really catchy tunes, but I just can't get pas Mos. I always hear/read about what a great guitarist Marr is, but I can't really hear him.

So you're wrong, Dave!! But in your honor I will actually read the Uncut cover story on him this month.

Jay said...

It could be the most brilliant music ever committed to tape, but I wouldn't know. He always looks like he's about to faint in his videos - too frigging effete for me. I want to slap him.