Monday, November 01, 2010

Hot Rod Angels


NPR's got a "First Listen" of a few choice cuts from Bruce's "The Promise," which is a Dee-lux edition of "Darkness on the Edge of Town," complete with previously unreleased tracks Bruce recorded while in record company legal limbo following "Born To Run." I must have listened to the version of "Racing In The Street" they've got up there about fifty times today.

The accompanying write-up talks about the E Streeters' infatuation with Elvis and makes a claim that his influence is clear in Springsteen's phrasing throughout the cuts. I'll have to listen a couple more times before I take their word for it.

This being a heavy re-issue season, it will be hard to pick which ones to go for, but this one's pretty high on my list right now.

5 comments:

Eric said...

Got "Wrong Side of the Street" on endless loop... thanx u El Joe!

Dave said...

This is all I want for Christmas. Have you guys seen the documentary for this that was on HBO? It's great- and it's part of the reissue package.

Matt said...

never really got into the boss. it's not a matter of not liking, just never checked out more than born in the usa. where should i begin?

Eric said...

I'd say situate yourself in a vintage Lee West Stereo Egg Pod Chair for a weekend and blast The River, but I'll defer to the more seasoned Springsteenologists on this site.

Mike said...

Wow, that is fantastic! Not just some odds and ends, but an album's worth of finished songs from the prime years! I can't wait until Dave gets this for Christmas!

I actually never completed my Springsteenology degree, but I'm especially fond of Born to Run and Nebraska.