Saturday, August 02, 2008

Out of Print



For Those Procrastinators among us, I submit for your moderate disappointment a couple of out-of-print curios I still listen to every now and then. One is "Gladsome, Humour, and Blue," a 1988 release by Martin Stephenson and the Daintees, a mostly forgotten band from Country Durham in the North of England. None of the tracks were really single-worthy (although there was a radio-edit of "Wholly Humble Heart" that got some limited play, a video of which is above), so it pretty much died a death upon release. An acquired taste, perhaps, but I keep coming back to this one, which I have on vinyl somewhere from back in the day, and was finally able to track down on CD a few years back at some Dutch online record store. Stephenson appears to be plugging away, and, in a burst of originality, apparently recently recorded an album of American roots music. [Correction: it turns out that this CD has since been reissued and is available at Amazon - I guess I wasted my Guilders on that one.]

The other is "The Taller You Are The Shorter You Get," a 1989 double LP by My Dad is Dead, a Cleveland band now based in Chapel Hill, and, to their gratification, appearing at SXSW this year for the first time after 24 years of recording. I was reminded of this one by the new Hold Steady CD, although you may find the comparison a bit strained. The album starts with a rollicking instrumental (much like Bossanova by the Pixes, which came out around the same time). This, and a few other efforts are available at the band website here.

Evidently I was never a music critic in an earlier life. But see what you think.

3 comments:

Mike said...

Kind of quirky/interesting, not one for the Catchy Friday. Loving the Hold Steady though, maybe I'll make the connection yet.

Jay said...

My first thought was that Andy couldn't possibly really like this band, as the lead singer is male.

Rim shot!

Andrew said...

It is true I occasionally grit my teeth and put up with a dude singing, but, at the end of the day, don't you find something just a tad uncomfortable about listening to some guy moaning on about love etc.

On the subject of good music, I just got a copy of the newly released Ida Maria CD (she of a couple of catchy Friday posts) from Amazon.uk I will facilitate the playing of that CD as soon as I get a chance.