Monday, August 25, 2008

Am I literate or erudite yet?

Hours of sitting on planes and in hospitals the past week allowed me to indulge in five more books from the cursed list. I won't bother with thorough synopsis as I'd probably just crib 'em from Amazon anyway, but here are the titles I read and my brief comments and ranks.

The God of Small Things - Caste system, India, relatively short, won the Booker: A

Gabriel's Gift - The guy who wrote Buddha of Suburbia, funny, deals with music, pleasant ending: A

Henderson the Rain King - Saul Bellow, hilarious, almost Ignatius Reilly-worthy main character, Andrew would love it: A+

The Story of Lucy Gault - Trevor, 19th century-ish story, depressing as hell: B-

Schooling- Hard to read but adventurous prose style, too close to Catholic school girl angst I had to witness in real life, points for being different. B

6 comments:

Mike said...

I absolutely LOVE Henderson! Great novel, glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for the rec on Never Let Me Go, what a neat book. Man you're really checking them off. I'd say you are a litterbug and an ermine now!

Jay said...

No.

Dave said...

And as soon as I check The Watchmen off the list you'll be changing your tune!

Joe said...

Man, I couldn't read that many books in a year. Unfortunately I just blew an Amazon gift card on music. Oh well. I guess I'll stick to reading People and TeenBeat.

Mike said...

Listen to the Ph.D. trying to sound unintellectual. Anyone buying it?

Jay said...

Not at all.