Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Plagiarism or Tribute Band?


After a long, self-imposed, and universally welcomed hiatus, I am back in the songwriting saddle again. Dave will remember fondly my last effort back in the heady days of the mid-90’s (“I just got bored while she had ennui; I liked American but she loved Brie . . .”). My latest effort is somewhat unusual in that it consists entirely of misremembered lyrics to another song (“Two Black Suits” by the Happy Talk Band), that I gargled out this morning to my wife’s deep annoyance. And since I cannot carry a tune, I will have to set these lyrics (some of which may inadvertently overlap with the actual ones) to the original music.

It occurs to me this can’t be the first time this has happened – does anyone recall other songs (besides parodies and Ibiza-eurotrash dance hits) that simply insert entirely or partially new lyrics over an original tune?

6 comments:

Dave said...

There was a fair amount of controversy surrounding Dylan's last album (Modern Times). Evidently, he was 'inspired' by the poems of a Confederate soldier on several songs, and on one (When the Deal Goes Down) put new lyrics to a tune and arrangment of Bing Crosby's signature tune (the name of which escapes me now). Dylan's defense: the folk idiom has always existed on pasting new words on ancient tunes (Scarborough Fair and Girl from the North Country, anyone?). I personally have 'borrowed' and 'been inspired' by lots of different stuff. When I listen to my own stuff, most of it sounds like an obvious pinch to my ears.

Dave said...

Also, I remember your lyrics Andy. Wasn't the song called 'Uptown Girl'?

Jay said...

The most famous case, of course, was George Harrison's borrowing of "He's So Fine" to create "My Sweet Lord."

And I don't know if we have any Flaming Lips fans in the house, but they got in trouble with Cat Stevens not too long ago for borrowing "Father and Son" for "Fight Test."

There's tons more, but those are the two that immediately come to mind.

Where's Joe? I know he's got a few more I'm forgetting ...

Joe said...

All I can think of is 'Mr. Whirly' by the Replacements, which partially pastes over 'Oh Darling' by those other four guys with notable hair.

The Kinks sued the Doors over "Hello I Love You" and its eerie similarity to "All of the Day and All of the Night," and I think Madonna got sued for "Papa Don't Preach" by whoever wrote "Sugar Don't Bite."

I was listening to a lecture on Dylan once, and the guy was talking about how some guy in Europe made a concordance of blues songs, and he started plugging Dylan lyrics into it. Needless to say, there were a lot of 'references' that came up.

Joe said...

Like this

Andrew said...

I think that's right Dave. I also remember "She wept for Mimi while I dreamed of Jeannie. I never even heard of a dirty Martini." Nashville here I come. Happy Talk Band finally Felt Too Progressive, by the way.